The mission of Calvary Counseling Center is to multiply the disciple-making efforts of the Calvary Baptist Church through training counselors and offering biblical counseling to the local churches and residents of the Crawford County community.
Our Commitment & Investment
We are committed to seeing that the local church is fully vested and behind the ministry. Calvary Baptist Church (CBC) is our parent organization—while the following churches have financially partnered with the ministry:
- First Baptist Church—Spartansburg, PA
- Perry Baptist Church—Hadley, PA
- Living Hope Community Church—Conneautville, PA
- Christ Evangelical Free Church—Saegertown, PA
- Christ United Methodist Church, Franklin, PA
We are working to connect with more local churches in our area for support and for aiding them by meeting counseling needs. Members of churches which support the ministry will be asked to make a $25 donation for the counseling service, but only if possible. We are committed to connecting with pastors and churches and asking them to provide advocates for those from their church receiving counsel. In addition to this, we are committed to:
- training lay counselors and seeing that they become certified.
- moral integrity so will be accountable to the elders of CBC. I will not meet to counsel a woman unless she or I can arrange to have another woman present and in the room when the counseling happens.
- fiscal responsibility so will ask the Calvary Baptist Church to oversee the financial aspect of the ministry.
- keeping counseling information confidential.
- the leadership of the local church and will submit to Tim Jordan, pastor of CBC.
- praying for the ministry. We believe Crawford County needs a biblical counseling center.
Staff & Counselors
Director & Certified Counselor
Douglas Messerall earned a Master of Divinity (M.Div.) from Baptist Bible Seminary in 1983 and is certified as a biblical counselor with the Association of Certified Biblical Counselors (ACBC).
Past experience as Senior Pastor of the following two churches
- Summit Baptist Bible Church, Clarks Summit PA – 10 years
- Calvary Baptist Church, Meadville, PA – 20 years
Doug has served two congregations over a period of 30 years. In that time he learned some valuable lessons about people. These lessons are helpful for relating to the counselees. Doug as well has attended a week-long Biblical Counseling Conference nine times since 2004. These continuing education classes keep him informed and prepared for what lies ahead.
Wendy Horning earned a Bachelor of Science in Education from Edinboro University and a Masters in Biblical Counseling from Faith Seminary in Lafayyette, IN.
She taught for thirteen years at a local Christian school then retired from teaching to work on her Master’s degree in Biblical Counseling. Wendy completed her degree in counseling this year and is volunteering at Women’s Services, Inc. in Meadville as a hotline counselor. She has a passion for God’s Word and applying biblical principles to life’s struggles. Wendy works with women of all ages who are caught up in emotional trauma and hurt, along with dominating issues such as fear, cutting, depression, over-eating, etc. She has been married to her husband, Tim, for 22 years and they have four children. Wendy and her husband are actively involved in various ministries at Lyona Bible Church and members of a small group bible study.